NHS Digital Privacy Notice
NHS Digital is the secure haven* for NHS patient data, a single secure repository where data collected from all branches of the NHS is processed. NHS Digital provides reports on the performance of the NHS, statistical information, audits and patient outcomes. Find out more by clicking here. Examples include; A/E and outpatient waiting times, the numbers of staff in the NHS, percentage target achievements, payments to GPs etc and more specific targeted data collections and reports such as the Female Genital Mutilation, general practice appointments data and English National Diabetes Audits. GPs are required by the Health and Social Care Act to provide NHS Digital with information when instructed. This is a legal obligation which overrides any patient wishes. These instructions are called “Directions”. More information on the directions placed on GPs can be found on the NHS Digital website and the NHS Data Sharing website
- Data Controller contact details: Maywood Surgery, 225 Hawthorn Road, Bognor Regis, West Sussex, PO21 2UW
- Data Protection Officer contact details: Richard Newell email: Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purpose of the processing: To provide the Secretary of State and others with information and reports on the status, activity and performance of the NHS. The provide specific reporting functions on indentified
- Lawful basis for processing: The legal basis will be Article 6(1)(c) “processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject.” And Article 9(2)(h) “processing is necessary for the purposes of preventive or occupational medicine, for the assessment of the working capacity of the employee, medical diagnosis, the provision of health or social care or treatment or the management of health or social care systems and services on the basis of Union or Member State law or pursuant to contract with a health professional and subject to the conditions and safeguards referred to in paragraph 3;”
- Recipient or categories of recipients of the shared data: The data will be shared with NHS Digital according to directions which can be found on the NHS Digital website
- Rights to object: You have the right to object to some or all of the information being shared with NHS Digital. Contact the Data Controller or the practice.
- Right to access and correct: You have the right to access the data that is being shared and have any inaccuracies corrected. There is no right to have accurate medical records deleted except when ordered by a court of Law.
- Retention period: The data will be retained for active use during the processing and thereafter according to NHS Policies and the law.
- Right to Complain: You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office, or calling their helpline Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 (national rate) There are National Offices for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, (see ICO website)
* The BMA has serious concerns regarding the status of NHS Digital as a “safe haven” and is not confident it has acted as a secure repository for patient data.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.